Optometry Licensing and CE Requirements for 2020
When is my continuing education (CE) deadline in New Mexico?
As an Optometrist in New Mexico, you must complete and submit all of your CE requirements before you apply for your license renewal. You must renew your license every year by June 30th.
What are my continuing education (CE) requirements in New Mexico?
Before renewing your optometry license, you are required to complete 22 hours of approved CE in total. Within those hours, you must have a specific number of hours covering topics such as clinical or ocular therapeutic pharmacology, and pain management or related topics. For more details, please refer to our table below.
|Clinical or ocular therapeutic pharmacology||10 hour|
|Pain management or related topic||1 hour|
|Internet-Type courses||Up to 6 hours|
Continuing education hours of credit may be obtained by attending:
- Pain management or related topic: least one (1) of the twenty-two (22) hours of continuing education must be in a board approved course in pain management or related topic pursuant to 188.8.131.52 NMAC. This requirement shall begin with the 2015 renewal period beginning July 2, 2014.
- For optometrists on inactive status holding ocular therapeutics certification, a minimum of ten (10) hours of continuing education in a board approved program in clinical or ocular therapeutic pharmacology is required.
- The continuing education must have been taken within the preceding renewal period (i.e. July 2 of one year through June 30 of the next).
- A license will be placed on expired status if the licensee fails to meet the continuing education requirements for renewal by the expiration date stated in this rule.
- Newly licensed optometrists who graduated from optometry school within the same year of licensure may submit the completed curriculum of their last year of optometry school to meet their continuing education requirement the first year of renewal.