Optometry Licensing and CE Requirements for 2020
When is my continuing education (CE) deadline in Texas?
As an Optometrist in Texas, you must complete and submit all of your CE requirements before you apply for your license renewal. You must renew your license yearly by December 31st.
What are my continuing education (CE) requirements in Texas?
Before renewing your optometry license, you are required to complete 16 hours of approved CE in total. Within those hours, you must have a specific number of hours covering topics such as the diagnosis or treatment of ocular disease, professional responsibility, and human trafficking. For more details, please refer to our table below.
|Diagnosis or treatment of ocular disease (DT Hours)||12 hours|
|Professional Responsibility or Ethics||1 hour|
|Human Trafficking Course||1 hour|
|Opioid Prescribing for Optometric glaucoma sepcialists||1 hour|
|Live hours||8 hours|
|Internet Courses||8 hours|
- Professional Responsibility (Ethics) CE Requirements: A one hour course in professional responsibility is required to renew. This hour is included in the 16 hour requirement, no additional hours are required.
- Human Trafficking CE Requirement: To renew a license for 2021 and subsequent years, §116.002 of the Occupations Code requires all active licensees who provide direct patient care to complete a training course on identifying and assisting victims of human trafficking. Licensees will receive one general credit hour upon submission of written proof of completion of the approved course.
- Opioid Prescribing CE Requirement: Section 481.0764 of the Health and Safety Code requires all active optometric glaucoma specialists who prescribe or dispense opioids to take each year a one hour board approved continuing education course covering best practices, alternative treatment options, and multi-modal approaches to pain management that may include physical therapy, psychotherapy, and other treatments. Licensees will receive one D/T credit hour upon submission of written proof of completion of the approved course. These courses will be listed separately on the “Approved Courses” list on the website.
- Certificate of course completion may be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to Board.
- All courses must be approved by the Board.
- Licensees who have not obtained CE cannot renew.