Frequently Asked Questions
How much do cases cost?
The pricing for cases can be seen on the Cases page. All prices are in USD. If three or more cases are purchased, you will receive a discount as noted on checkout.
Do you provide any free Continuing Education?
Yes, we always have at least one COPE approved case that you can complete for free and earn COPE-approved CE credit. Check out the "Cases" tab to see which ones are available for free. You must register first in order to take a case.
How do I download my certificates?
Once you've passed the quiz portion of a case, you can download your certificate immediately, or you can download it any time in from your Account Dashboard. Note: if you require your license number on the printed certificates, you may enter it in the PDF by clicking on the license field and typing it in. When you print your certificate, it will display right where you typed it.
What category of continuing education credits are Optocase modules and how many can I count towards my requirements?
All Optocase cases are approved by The Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (COPE) for a certain number of hours of credit as listed. Note that COPE was created by Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry (ARBO) to accredit continuing education on behalf of optometric licensing boards.
Because licensing requirements are different in each country and in each state/province, you will need to check with your licensing body to verify how online, COPE-approved online CE credits apply to your licensing situation.
For the United States, some requirements can be seen here: www.arbo.org/ce_req.php
Why do cases expire?
All COPE-certified continuing education courses have a period of validity. In the case of online learning courses, typically 3 years.
When a case expires it will be temporarily inaccessible while it undergoes a content review, update, and subsequent re-certification. Once re-certified, the course will be available again.
If you have purchased a case and do not complete the quiz portion before the expiry, you will be unable to complete the course until the update is complete. Once updated, you will gain access to the revised version. If you are not satisfied, please contact us to discuss a refund or a substitution.
What is the OE Tracker?
The OE Tracker is a system operated by Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry (ARBO). Its designed to help optometrists keep track of their continuing education courses. Some boards of optometry ask their optometrists to use the OE Tracker. Please refer to your board's rules and regulations as to whether you are expected to use the OE Tracker.
For more information on the OE Tracker please visit ARBO's site:
- OE Tracker: www.arbo.org/oet_info.php
Is course data sent to the OE Tracker system?
Optocase can send your course completion information to the OE Tracker on your behalf. To enable this please visit your account's Profile page, enter you OE Tracker number, and check the box explicitly granting us permission to send your data to ARBO. We'll send the following to the OE Tracker:
- your OE Tracker number
- the course's COPE id
- the date you completed the course
We submit this data on a bi-weekly basis, and it can take a number of days for your information to appear within the OE Tracker. If you have a deadline approaching consider submitting your completion information directly to the OE Tracker. For information on sending your course information to the OE Tracker, please visit the ARBO organization's website for the OE Tracker system at url: www.arbo.org/oet_info.php
Payments / Billing
All payments on Optocase.com are currently processed through Stripe.
Your sensitive card details are never sent to, nor stored on, Optocase.com servers. When you make a purchase your card information is sent direct from your web browser to our payment processor Stripe, so that we never have access to your sensitive card data.
If you opt to save your billing information for easier checkout, or purchase a subscription, your sensitive card information is only stored with the payment processor, and not on Optocase.com infrastructure.
Which forms of payment do you accept?
At this time we accept the following credit and debit cards.
- American Express
OCT Mastery Tips
What are the OCT Tips?
Each week we feature expert analysis of a new OCT. We take you through the relevant pathology, and what condition is indicated by the OCT. The highlight being a clinical pearl based on decades of experience by Ophthalmologist Dr. Sanjay Sharma.
The current and previous tips are free to access. Join the newletter to be notified of new tips.
How do I receive the OCT Tips (Newsletter)
How do I access the back catalog of the OCT Tips?
OCT Academy - Overview
The OCT Academy programs are subscription based plans which allows access to additional learning materials. We currently offer two plans outlined below:
- OCT Academy - Expert
- OCT Academy - COPE
- Access to the searchable back catalog of our OCT Tips
- Joining the OCT Academy program also adds additional video analysis and commentary to each OCT tip. The material adds new levels of context and insight, not included in the text portions of the tips.
- Join Dr. Ashley Brissette, assistant professor Weill Cornell Medicine in New York, as she reviews an anterior segment case with us. Tune in as she walks us through the presentation, diagnosis, and management, or problems occuring in the lens, cornea, and other structures. Also gain access to the archived episodes.
- Watch Dr. Hady Saheb, as he reviews with us a glaucoma case he has recently seen in his practise. He walks us through the case, reviewing the patient's history, and pointing out important clinical features. Gain access to all of the previous episodes.
- Join Dr. Paul Freund, a neuro-ophthalmologist at Dalhousie University, as he walks us through neuro cases. Gain access to all of the previous episodes.
- Join us for a video discussion of new or noteworthy topics appearing in the peer reviewed literature, and gain access to the archived items.
- Access to over 100 searchable cases with associated diagnostic imagery: Fundus/Clinical, OCTs, Angiograms.
- Yearly subscribers to the COPE plan can complete as many of our COPE courses as they wish during their subscription period.
- When subscribing to the monthly COPE plan, user's receive a number of 'credit hours' at the time of purchase, and every month thereafter. These credits can then be redeemed for Optocase courses. Each course's cost in 'credit hours' corresponds to the number of CE hours the course provides.
- Monthly subscribers to the COPE plan receive 2.0 'credit hours' at the start of their subscription, and 2.0 every month afterwards.
- Your credit balance will be displayed on your account's Dashboard, as well as other areas such as the cases page. Courses to which you can apply your 'credit hours' will be indicated to you when on the Cases page, as well as individual case sections.
- To redeem your 'credit hours' , add an eligible course to your cart. Proceed to the cart page, and follow the instructions there.
OCT Academy - Trial
A 14-day trial is available for the Expert plan.
When will I be billed?
Billing of your subscription to the OCT Academy will begin shortly after your trial ends. We'll send you a reminder approximately seven days before your trial ends, and billing begins.
During your trial period you can disable billing to prevent your trial from converting into a paid subscription. Visit your your account's billing page, and choose the Disable Billing option. This will ensure that you will not be billed at the end of your trial.
Users can receive a trial once every 180 days.
Subscriptions - Summary of Terms & Policies
- Service begins as soon as your payment is processed
- Your subscription will renew automatically, unless auto-renew is disabled on the billing page
- Renewal rates are subject to change, with reasonable prior notice
- Manage your subscription from your account's billing page
At the end of each billing cycle your subscription will renew automatically. You'll receive an email notification a few days prior to the renewal occuring. You can disable auto-renewal at any time from your account's billing page.
Cancelation & Refunds
Our general refund policy is outlined below. However, Optocase reserves the right to review refund requests on a case-by-case basis, and in its sole discretion, grant or deny the request.
- Expert plan — cancel within 14 days of initial subscription purchase for a full refund
- COPE plan — cancel within 14 days of initial subscription purchase for a full refund, minus the price of any redeemed 'credit hours' provided by the subscription. For more details, please read the COPE plan refund stipulation section below.
- No refunds after 14 days from initial subscription purchase
- Expert plan — cancel within 30 days of initial subscription purchase for a full refund
- COPE plan — cancel within 30 days of initial subscription purchase for a full refund, minus the price of any redeemed 'credit hours' provided by the subscription. For more details, please read the COPE plan refund stipulation section below.
- No refunds after 30 days from initial subscription purchase
COPE plan refund stipulation
- If the 'credit hours' provided by the COPE plan are redeemed for a case, their dicounted cost ($10USD per 'credit hour') will be subtracted from the refunded amount.
- For more information on the 'credit hours' provided by the COPE plan, please see the section 'monthly credits' within the OCT Academy - Overview faq item above.